Skip to main content

Little James' Big Faith

I noticed James (not the real name) waiting to meet me. He was of a very frail small frame, shy and seldom spoke in public or in a group. He is an overseas student who is very much part of the little congregation that I pastor in university town in India.
When the last person was gone, James came forward and muttered: ‘Pastor, can I have a word with you, outside?’ So, I followed him to the balcony of the church. Leaning on the rails of the balcony, I stared at him to hear another big problem my little sheep is facing. It can be about a sickness that he suffers silently, a relationship problem—he might have spotted his girl friend in the company of another person, or a problem at his far away home—mom is sick or father might have lost job.
But James’ problem appeared small to me. He hasn’t paid house-rent for the last two months. Parents haven’t sent the money, but they have promised they will sent it soon! But the landlord has issued the ultimatum of 48 hours. If he is not able to pay it within two days he will have to leave the house, leaving his precious possessions behind until he pay it in full.
My mind made some quick calculations as I found out how much he owe his landlord. I suggested that I will lend him the money right now so that he can avoid the evacuation. He can pay me when the parents send the money. So, I encouraged him, patted on his shoulder as I began to walk away to the other person waiting for the pastor. But James stopped me. He said, ‘Pastor! I don’t want to borrow.’ ‘I only need your prayer. Could you pray for me right now that the money will come tomorrow.’
‘Of course!’ I said. We bowed our heads and prayed—James bowed his head in faith but I rather in shame and embarassment.
Just before the the deadline set by his landlord was over I called James to find out if he received the money. My rescue plan was still in place, ready for any eventuality.  James’ ‘hello’ had a rim of joy as he picked up my call. ‘Yes pastor!’ he said in a very jubilant tone. ‘Mom transferred the money online and I paid the rent,’ he continued. ‘Praise God,’ I said in a rather subdued voice. I, an experienced, senior pastor felt guilty and shrank in size before a young man who was full of faith. I depended on my mind and my capacity to help the poor and needy. But this young man, a new believer had faith full to the rim. He knew that something that I also knew but often ignored—God hears prayers.

Popular posts from this blog

Pandita Ramabai versus Swami Vivekananda: Two Visions of India

This is more than a story about two remarkable nineteenth-century Indians. It is a story about two competing ways of seeing India itself. Pandita Ramabai and Swami Vivekananda were contemporaries, reformers, and influential voices who introduced India to the Western world. Swami Vivekananda (b. 1863—d. 1902 and Pandita Ramabai (b. 1858—d.1922) were contemporaries for about 39 years. Pandita Ramabai was five years older than the Swami and lived 20 more years than he did. Both individuals had connections to Brahmo Samaj. Swami Vivekananda was an official member, whereas Pandita Ramabai closely aligned with its principles and members but did not formally join. When Ramabai arrived in Kolkata in 1878, she received a warm welcome from Brahmo Samaj leaders such as Keshab Chandra Sen, who was notably impressed by her Sanskrit skills and encouraged her to study the Vedas, which were traditionally restricted to men. Although she adopted many of the movement's social reform ideas—such as opp...

A Chat With God

A Chat With God : Prayer can sometimes be a tough thing for people. This video takes a look at some of the struggles and thoughts a person might have with prayer, through the lens of a 'chat' conversation with God.

The Smoking Meat-Eating Swami

  Typically, we imagine a revered spiritual monk as a quiet figure subsisting on fresh vegetables, clear water, and pure air, untouched by worldly habits. However, Swami Vivekananda challenges this traditional image entirely. His life was characterised not by a strict adherence to conventions but by practical wisdom, profound humanity, and a bold rejection of superficial dogma. Throughout his life, Vivekananda regularly enjoyed cigars, pipes, and the traditional Indian hookah. It was a habit he picked up in his youth and maintained during his travels across India and abroad. Yet, for him, a simple pipe could carry profound spiritual meaning. During his wanderings across India, he once asked a man from a lower caste for a smoke from his hookah. When the man hesitated because of the era’s strict customs of untouchability, Vivekananda initially walked away—only to turn around immediately, realising that bowing to caste distinctions violated his core belief in spiritual unity. He took ...